Saturday, April 17, 2010

Thinking of You

For almost a year now I have been jobless, and for almost a year now I have had people helping me look for one, without my knowing. These are not the people who will pass along a job to me that they heard or read about, these are people who will go to people they know and ask them about a job for me. I will then receive a message from them to call so-and-so, he/she would like to talk to me about a job, or even better, there is no job, but Mr. Head Honcho would like to talk to me anyway.

Great. Just great. Why? Because even though I am not looking for a job at the time as I am concentrating on the LSATs, law school applications, or waiting to hear from schools, I now have an obligation to call these people. I now have to take time out of my day, put on a friendly, smiley face, be polite and adult-like, and call these people. I have to talk to them for five to ten minutes, rehash my LSAT and law school history and problems, listen to them give me advice that I have probably already heard more times than I can count, thank them for their help, and then say goodbye.

Yes, it is only five or ten minutes, yes, these people who hook me up do have my best interest at heart, yes, I do appreciate it, and yes, who knows, maybe someday in the future it will benefit me, but right now, I do not want them doing this for me. I do not want a job now, I am not looking for one and will not be looking for one until I know what is going with law school. On top of that, I would really like to choose what kind of job to get, where I apply for a job, and whom I talk to about one. It is my life, and I would like to have some control over it. So, while the thoughts and gestures are appreciated, please, let me make my own decisions about what job I would like and where I work.

No comments: